Wednesday 12 December 2012

Fennes Hobbs Croft Match

This Sunday I was off to Hobbs croft lake at The Fennes fishery, this lake can offer some awesome silver weights over the winter months, and despite last weeks blow out I was eager to get to fish this lake with my bloodworm and joker! The weather leading up to this had slightly improved, although we had freezing conditions all week, Saturday was 4c and Sunday was 8c, so fortunately the ice had melted for us to fish on Sunday!
At the draw I drew peg 69, this is a very shallow peg, no more than 2 and a half foot at 13meters, fortunately the water was up a little bit so I had more like 3 foot, and the winner had come from peg 67 last week so there should hopefully be some fish about! I didn't really know what pegs would fish, was the temperatures had been up and down for the last 2 weeks the fish could be anywhere.
My plan for most of the swims would have been a 2 line approch, an 11meter ball it in bloodworm line, and a shorter caster/ chopped worm line for some perch, but being in this shallow water id decided i would fish 11meters on the pole and also set a tip up to try a pop up boilie or bread if bites slowed down, in the hope I may hook a carp that might be moping around.
At the all in, I fed 4 loose fed pots of joker simply split with leam, I then put 3 double leam balls of joker in on top of this, the reason I didn't put it all into balls was because it was so shallow, I felt i would get a quicker start by loose feeding the first bit, and the double leam balls would hopefully hang around for a while before they broke up, in turn increasing the time I would get bites, i also added about 1/4 of a pint of casters and the same in dead maggots to this mix. I always aim to be able to catch on caster over my joker no matter where I am fishing, you always get bigger fish on caster, and on good days you will catch just as quick on caster as you will a bloodworm or a maggot, and if the fish are twice the size then why not?
I chucked the tip our for the first 20minutes to let the line settle, nothing came of it so i went over the joker, I started catching straight away on maggot, and bites were coming faster and faster, after an hour I changed to caster to straight away get into the better roach, I caught continuously until about 12:30 when bites started to dry up.
I decided i would top up with another ball on joker, and then chuck the tip out while I ate my sandwich, as i was taking my first bite of my sandwich i noticed my tip was wrapped round, picking up the rod i could feel some resistance but it wasn't quite right, then all of a sudden it shot off, foul hooked carp! I had it on for about 5 minutes before the hook finally pulled, little bit gutted but i didn't feel as though anyone was going to catch a carp today so not to worry. I had another chuck for no more bites then back onto the joker line!
Action was instant, and i was catching fish a chuck and topping up with another ball of joker every 30-40minutes for the remainder of the match, unfortunately with an hour to go I ran out of my joker, I only started with about half a match pack as i was too generous to give some away before the start! If i had have had a whole pack I'm confident i could have had another 7-8lb as the fish were really having it. Unfortunately though my bites dried up for the last hour and it was just the odd fish.
I weighed in 19lb with 147 roach, so a fantastic days fishing, but what more it could have been if i didn't run out of bait! It also cost me the Match as the bloke opposite on 76 had caught skimmers and perch from the deeper water and weighed 21lb, I'm confident I could have beat this had i not run out of bait, but such is life!
So 2nd it was, yet again some solid points!

Next week im off to cable pond in Clare ive never fished this venue in winter, but previous experience tells me there's alot of skimmers and big roach, and some great big carp, so il have to just go by what happens on the day!
Thanks for reading!
Reece.

No comments:

Post a Comment