Wednesday 2 January 2013

Christmas week of matches

Well Ive got lots to report this week, to begin, last Sunday was our clubs christmas match at the Fennes on ash grounds. The weather had been good and i was really looking forward to it!
I drew peg 6, which is normally a good area for roach, but there were no bream coming out of here lately so it was unlikely i could win the match from here, but i was confident of winning the section as the plan was to fish bloodworm and joker with caster over the top, and im getting quite handy at this lately!
I fed 8 balls of joker in a 50/50 groundbait and leam mix at the start, and every 30 minutes or so the swim needed a top up ball of joker just in leam. I fished a tidy match and weighed in 14lb 2oz with 103roach, more than enough to win the section, but some bream had come out on the other bank as expected so i finished 4th in the match.
Thursday was my next match, a silverfish match at rayne lodge, it was pegged on the bottom and middle lake. I drew peg 2 on the middle, I caught 298roach for 12lb 8oz  for 3rd in the match, my fish were tiny compared to the guy who had won so I was always fighting an uphill battle, but I left satisfied id done a good job from my peg that day.
Friday was a Match on the top lake of rayne lodge, id drawn peg 21, which in normal conditions was a brilliant draw as the fish shoal up here and you can catch on a straight lead with pop up bread, unfortunately though this wasn't the case! And this is one of the worst pole pegs on the lake so I was in for a struggle! I managed to pick up odd fish throughout the day, and in the last 45 minutes my pole swim came alive, I had one a chuck and finished with 30 (unfortunately small carp) for 55lb, which put my 4th in the match and narrowly missing out on the section, good result from a poor peg on the day!
Sunday it was the teams of 4 match at the fennes, I drew peg 10 on ash grounds, I was happy with this as although i would not be able to win the match from here, i would be able to catch a good bag of roach to win the section. I fished similar blood worm and joker tactics to the last week, this time catching 129roach for 15lb 14oz, a quality bag of roach, and more than enough to win the section as 2nd was the peg to my right who weighed 10lb. Unfortunately my team had a bit of a blow out and we only managed 3rd in the match, which also meant i only got 7.50 of my winnings after splitting my section money 4 ways!
Monday I had another silverfish match at rayne lodge, this time it was pegged on the top lake, I drew peg 10, which I was fairly happy with as at least I was on the deep bank. Id opted to fish a top kit to hand with caster and groundbait, and also a long pole line.
I didn't even have to pick the long pole up as I was catching one a chuck all day, getting mainly roach and the odd bonus skimmer or hybrid, most people were only hooking carp on their long poles so I decided not to waste my time. I finished the day with 458 roach and skimmers for 30lb 14oz, a busy days fishing! I won the match, 2nd place being Danny Mason with 27lb, and third coming from the peg to my right with 26lb.
Tuesday was yet again an all in match on rayne lodge top lake, yet again I had a poor draw getting peg 14, the only worse peg on the lake on the day was peg 17! This peg is shallow on the feeder and pole line, I well and truly was out of it today! I didn't get anything in the first hour, not a bite! whilst I watched most people in the deep water catching odd carp. My swim eventually picked up and I found odd carp on the long pole on corn and odd fish down the edge by a fishy looking bush that hangs in the water, unfortunately though my stamp of fish was even smaller than the previous match, I finished with 34 carp for 56lb for 7th in the match, well below the average stamp of fish for this lake, the only consolation is id beaten half the blokes who were on better pegs! The winner had 103lb and his fish were big, as id expected from the deeper water. It was even the same pegs who won all the money as the last match, peg 4 peg 8 and peg 12, why couldn't I draw one of those?

Next week im off to Maldon canal for the final round of the Essex inter club league, our Braintree team hold a 4 point lead going into the final round, so its certainly ours to lose, Id certainly like another good result as I am only 2 points away from 3rd in the league, which I don't think is too bad seeing as I haven't fished half the venues before! It looks like Danny Mason who also fishes for Braintee is going to win the individual league, hopefully we all put in another consistent performance to take the league honors.

Thanks for reading,
Tight lines,
Reece Hearn


No comments:

Post a Comment