Thursday 21 February 2013

Arrans lake and the fennes

This weekend I had two matches booked in.
The first being a Saturday match on arrans lake, no one really new how it would fish with the cold weather.
I drew the ow near the aerator so felt I could at least snag a few on the tip if nothing else.
I had 2 fish in the first hour on pellet cone and was left wondering what to do! The corner pegs were bagging so I had a lot of catching up to do!
I managed a few on the long pole before the swim died, I struggled up until the last hour and a half when I managed to put a few more fish together, I had a good last hour, finishing with 116lb for a section win and 4th overall. Top weight was 138lb so I'd done well considering I seemed in the wrong area on the day!

Sunday was a club match on Hobbs croft on the fennes.
Is was a rod and reel match only, and with the frosts overnight it was lookin grim! On arrival the lake was frozen so it was I've breaking to begin. As it were throughout the day the ice melted as the temperature rose to 8c.
I caught well on the waggler from the start, fishing caster over the top of a bed of joker, I fed 8 balls long and one ball short and basically topped up when bites died, I managed some decent skimmers long and loads of roach short to finish with 166 fish for 26lb 13oz. This was enough to win on the day as second was 24lb. Only one carp was hooked and lost all day, so I didn't waste my time fishing my bomb line, if I had done I may not have won the match so it was a good call on the day.

Today I went to hill as black at the fennes as I had a day off work, and thought I'd see what was happening on the lake in preparation for Sunday.
I didn't get a bite in the first hour, and considering I was fishing bloodworm and joker I was fairly concerned! All of a sudden my float slid away and I had a bream! Not what I was expecting at all. I had 16 on the trott before having to top up the swim, I just couldn't believe it! I finished with 25 bream for about 50lb. I was expecting 10lb of roach at best so a fantastic surprise!
The only problem I had was that I didn't catch a single roach! This concerns me for Sunday as not everyone will catch bream, maybe two or three people. So if you don't catch bream what else is there to catch?!?!
I'm just hoping I can net a few of those slabs Sunday in my match!

Thanks for reading and il see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment